Details on how to apply can be found here: 174_iDiv_Tech_Assistant_EA_REO_engl (deadline 12th of August 2020).
Technical assistant Evolution & Adaptation group at iDiv (Leipzig, Germany)
Limited until 30 September 2021. 100% of a full-time position. Salary: Entgeltgruppe 6 TV-L. Workplace: Leipzig.
The Evolution & Adaptation research group focuses on the interchange between (macro-) ecology and evolution, to understand the global distribution of genetic, taxonomic and functional diversity. We therefore generate genetic (genomic) data (e.g. from plants from Madagascar), and build databases of biodiversity data (such as functional traits) to investigate the link between genes and phenotype. Understanding these links is important for predicting how adaptable biodiversity is to current and future global change.
- Combining (botanical) data sources (such as monographs and floras) to build databases for biodiversity data (using Access/PROTEUS or SQL)
- Measuring functional plant traits from herbaria or fresh sample material
- Collecting and cleaning plant species occurrence data from online data sources/herbaria
- General laboratory organization and maintenance
- Planning and conducting basic molecular techniques
- Analysis of generated data and preparation of suitable presentations
- Professional qualification as a Biological-Technical Assistant or an equivalent degree (e.g. BSc or MSc in Biology)
- Hands-on experience with basic molecular techniques (e.g., DNA/RNA isolation, PCR, real-time PCR, gel electrophoresis) preferable
- Experience in building databases preferable
- Very good computer skills (MS Windows, MS Office, R, etc.)
- Very good spoken and written English
- Strong team player also able to work independently
- Very well organized and reliable
- Experience with working in interdisciplinary and international teams
For questions, contact me on email@example.com!