One of my passions is to make scientific and educational videos about my research or about certain biological concepts more generally. More examples can also be found at my vimeo and youtube channels.
Videos for education purposes / fieldwork
- Convergence in Mediterranean Ecosystems: a scientific video for the NESCent Evolution video contest, finalist, screened at the Evolution conference 2015 in Guarujá, Brazil.
- Exaptations versus adaptations: a scientific video for the NESCent Evolution video contest, finalist, screened at the Evolution conference 2014 in Raleigh NC, USA.
- The Borneo diaries: About field work in a tropical rainforest in Borneo.
- The fate of rain forests: a scientific video for the NESCent Evolution video contest, made for the Evolution conference 2016 in Austin, Texas, USA.
- Fieldwork Australia. Fieldwork video about my research on the Australian Proteaceae, Nov-Dec 2013.
- Fieldwork South Africa. Fieldwork video about my research in the Cape Floristic Region, Oct. 2011.
Videos about my research
- iM2M Taproot video. Introducing the iM2M (integrating meso to macro scales) Taproot (research theme) at iDiv.
- My research in 1 minute. Video made in 2015 about my postdoctoral research at the Université Paris-Sud.
Talks at conferences
- Evolution 2014 conference Raleigh NC, USA. On “Functional traits, biomes, and diversification rates in Rhamnaceae”.
- Evolution 2015 conference Guarujá, Brazil. On “Niche and trait evolutionary rates are correlated during evolutionary radiation”.
- Our response to President Trump: a non-scientific video about the greatest research group in the world.
- A horror movie? A non-scientific New Year’s Eve thriller.
- Travels in Central- and South America. I took a year off between my BSc and MSc to explore Central and South America.
- Internship at the National Science Quiz. For my internship during my MSc Biology I contributed to the questions and experiments performed during the yearly National Science Quiz (‘de Nationale Wetenschapsquiz’) in the Netherlands. This video shows my experience.